budget edition, coupons, Factual Fridays, favorite tips, food budget, Food Stamps, health news, healthy, inventive ways, Jenn Jackson, Jenni Grayson, money saver, nutrition, nutrition nerd, Organic Foods, round up, SNAP, tips
Factual Fridays – Friday, February 25, 2011
Everyone can eat healthy on a budget. Don’t believe me? Here are tips and tricks from some of the best.
An Oxymoron or The Way of the Future? Food Stamps and Organic Foods
I was inspired this week by Jenni Grayson’s incredible article of practical tips for eating organic on food stamps in the Huffington Post . It is one of my favorite articles ever written on the subject of healthy eating on a budget. Food stamps – called SNAP nationally and CalFresh in California – has become a reality for more people as times get financially more difficult across the country. While programs like FSNEP publish healthy eating education materials on a regular basis, Jenni’s tips reign supreme for me. I highly recommend that you click through each of the links she includes. Each and every one is unique, useful, and a money saver! Here’s a rundown with a few of my own links:
- Cook at home as much as possible. Yes, you can do it!
- Use more dried beans and make meat a condiment.
- Ignore name brands, choose whole foods, and search those bulk bins.
- Purchase the Clean 15 foods that may not need to be organic (or make an effort to stick to the top of this list.
- Stretch your food dollars at a farmer’s market. Find one at Simple Steps or Local Harvest.
- Stick to the classics for budget friendly meals.
Jenni will be putting her tips to the test and writing a follow-up column. I hope you’ll stay tuned with me for an update! (And, no, I don’t just love her because she has the best name ever 😉
Still Need More Tips? 30 Ways in 30 Days
Imagine how much of an improvement you can make in your food budget with just a few of these 30 tips from the CDC. Just in time for March’s National Nutrition Month)! I’ve highlighted a few of my favorites:
- Grow your own produce (even without a backyard)!
- Be creative by using produce in new, inventive ways !
- Utilize those coupons! Even catered to your area!
Do you think you can eat healthier on a budget? If not, what do you think stands in your way? If so, what are your favorite tips?
Jenn Jackson, MPH
The Nutrition Nerd
NOTE: If there is a health news story that you would like to share or know more about, please submit them to NutritionNerd@HealthyMenToday.com by Wednesday of each week (to be included in that Factual Friday round up).